Buying & Selling Guns

Q: What do I need to buy a gun?

A: To purchase a long gun (rifle, shotgun) you must be at least 18 years old and a resident of Indiana or a bordering state (Illinois residents may face restrictions). To buy a handgun you must be at least 21 years old and a resident of Indiana. You also must present a valid photo ID that includes your current address (drivers license, state ID card, military ID with current orders). A potential buyer must also submit to an in-store instant FBI criminal background check known as a "national instant criminal search" or "NICS". The check takes about 5 minutes to perform. If you have been convicted of a felony or a domestic abuse charge you are ineligible to buy a gun.

Q: Is there a waiting period to buy a gun?

A: Indiana does not require a waiting period. However, occasionally a person is put into a "Delayed" status by NICS while more research is done. If this is the case, NICS has three business days to contact us with a decision. If we do not hear from NICS after three business days we may transfer the gun(s) to the buyer on the fourth day, at our discretion. It is ZX Gun's policy to check the status of the Delay after three days for a final decision. Often we will receive an answer from NICS within three days and sometimes within an hour of the initial background check.

Q: I am not sure if I have a criminal record/was charged as a juvenile, can I buy a gun?

A: If you are not sure if you have a criminal record or were charged as a juvenile you must call the law enforcement agency in which you were involved during the incident(s) in question and inquire about your status and eligibility to purchase firearms.

Q: I am a resident of another state, can I buy a gun in Indiana?

A: If you are a resident of a state bordering Indiana you may buy a long gun (Illinois residents may face restrictions). If you are a resident of a state other than Indiana you may still buy either a long gun or handgun but we must ship the gun to another federal firearm licence dealer (FFL) in your state of residence. The FFL in your state will perform the NICS check and often charge about $25 for the service. We will also charge a shipping fee which will vary with the size and number of gun(s) shipped.

Q: Can I buy a gun for a friend/girlfriend/wife?

A: Not really. It is legal to buy a gun for another person as long as that person is legally allowed to own a firearm. However, it is a federal offense known as a "straw purchase" to buy a gun for another person who is not legally allowed to own a firearm. Since we don't know your friend/girl friend/wife/etc. and since we are answerable to ATF and liable for every firearm we sell, we will not sell firearms which are meant as gifts. The one exception is parents who want to buy a firearm for their underage son or daughter. For instance, a father may buy a shotgun for his 12 year old daughter for deer hunting. Likewise, a mother may buy her 19 year old son a pistol. Parents are responsible for their under age children and are in the best position to determine if they are mature and responsible enough to possess them.

If you want to give a friend or relative a gun as a gift you may purchase a gift certificate for the friend or relative in the amount of the gun.

Q: I am a citizen of another country, can I buy a gun ?

A: If you are a citizen of another country you may buy a gun if you are a resident alien with a "Green Card." As with U.S. citizens, you must provide a valid photo ID, meet the age requirement for the type of gun being purchased and submit to an instant background check.

Q: Can I sell my gun(s) to a friend or other private individual?

A: Private individuals may buy from or sell to other private individuals. As with FFL sales, private sales are also subject to the applicable federal and state laws with the exception that the buyer does not need to complete a background check. This exemption of the requirement of a background check is often referred to as the "gun show loophole". While background checks are not required for private sales, the seller is still legally accountable for the firearm(s) he or she sells. Therefore, it is highly recommend, at the very least, to document the purchase with receipts. The safest course is for both parties to perform the "transfer" at a gun store. A background check will be performed on the buyer and the store will provide duplicate receipts to buyer and seller. ZX Gun charges $20 for transfers. Performing a transfer through an FFL protects both the buyer and the seller.

Products and Services

Q: Do you do gunsmithing?

A: We have a limited capacity to install rings, scopes and sights on long guns and some makes of handguns. Otherwise, we do not perform gunsmithing but we are able to recommend a qualified, local gunsmith.

Q: Do you have and indoor range?

Q: Do you sell guns on consignment?

Q: Do you carry archery equipment?

A: No.

Q: Do you carry reloading supplies?

A: Our selection is very limited at this time. Most items can be ordered upon request.

Q: Do you carry black powder?

A: We are prohibited from carrying black powder for fire safety reasons.

Q: Do you sell Tasers/stun guns?

A: Yes.

Q: Do you have layaway?

A: Yes. Our layaway plan is 50% down and 3% on the balance which is due in 30 days. We will hold a gun for one day at no extra charge for 50% down. If the gun is not bought by the next business day the gun will be returned to the floor and the full hold amount will be refunded. Not every gun is eligible to be placed on layaway or hold.

Q: Do you appraise guns?

A: Yes. Since only the owner makes appraisals and since he is in the store during limited hours we recommend calling to make an appointment.

Q: Do you have a warranty on your products?

A: No. We take great care in selecting quality products for our store. Because of this, many of our products, in particular the brands of guns we sell, have manufacturer's warranties, with most guns having a lifetime warranty. Because of federal law, all gun sales are final.

Other Questions

Q: How long have you been in business?

A: ZX Gun opened its doors in mid-January 2007. However, ZX was in business at gun shows for two years before that.

Q: How do I get a handgun license or "carry permit"?

A: You must start your application online and then continue the process at your local law enforcement building. If you live in a town this would be your police department. If you live in the country you must go to your county sheriff's office. Give yourself at least one hour. Indiana now offers lifetime handgun license.

Q: Do I need a handgun license to buy a gun?

A: No. You do not need a handgun license to buy a gun. You may keep any gun in your place of residence or place of business if you are the owner. You may also keep a gun at any real estate you own. However, if you want to carry a handgun in your car or on your person outside of your home or place of business you will need a handgun license. Just because you have a handgun license does not mean you can carry a handgun everywhere. State and federal buildings as well as schools are usually off limits. Learn the law and be aware of private property where guns are prohibited.


DISCLAIMER: All statements on this page are provided for the convenience of customers of ZX Gun and users of Nothing on this page should be construed as legal advice or assumed to apply to the practices of other gun stores. Its is the gun owner's responsibility to know the laws applicable to the ownership, possession, transport and use of firearms.

We BUY SELL TRADE quality firearms!